Overseas Chinese, who once had registered permanent residence in Shanghai and also meet one of the following conditions, can apply to reside back in Shanghai:
(1) If one of the spouses is Overseas Chinese and wants to reunite with their spouse in Shanghai, and the spouse who has permanent residence of Shanghai can, by him/herself, solve the issues of housing and living after the return of the other spouse from overseas.
(2) If both a husband and wife who want to come back to reside in Shanghai have parents, offspring or siblings that have the capacity to solve the living issues after returning from overseas.
(3) If elderly persons who are above the age of 69, have no family to rely on overseas, and have relatives in Shanghai, and are capable of solving their housing and living issues by themselves.
(4) If males over 60 years of age or females over of 55 years of age have been granted permission by their spouses and have applied to come back alone to reside in Shanghai, have parents or offspring in Shanghai and housing of their own, and have the capacity of solving their living issues after returning from overseas.
(5) If children under the age of 16 have parents or grandparents living in Shanghai who have the capacity of solving the issues of residence, upbringing and surveillance of the returning child.
(6) If unmarried or divorced persons have parents or siblings living in this city and have the capacity of solving their living issues.
(7) Those who have abandoned their residence rights in a foreign country or those who cannot return to their residing country because of the invalidation of their residence visas, and have the capacity to solve their living issues after their return, after providing certifications by the departments of immigration of the foreign country or by Chinese embassies or consulates.
(8) Those who have held work visas and stayed in non-immigration countries for over 5 years can apply to return to reclaim their residence registration in Shanghai.
(9) Those who have attained the "certificate of employment in Shanghai for those residing in foreign countries" by the Shanghai Bureau of Employment and Social Security who want to reclaim their residence registration, in order to work and reside in Shanghai.